Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Slate

The new year offers us a clean slate. We have an opportunity to try again. To start over. To get it right this time. It's an illusion, really. A placebo. But if it motivates us, then it serves its purpose.

I am skeptical of new year's resolutions as much as the next person. But I also know that making lists always helps me actually accomplish my goals. If it's written down, then it's out there, and not just in my head. If there's a possibility that someone else sees or hears my list, then it kicks me in the butt to truly get things done.

So, here goes:

1. I resolve to get in better shape (especially my "core," which will strengthen my back and get my tummy back to its old, flat self). This means doing more than only playing the three or so soccer games per week, and taking the daily-ish walks. I lost all the weight I gained last year, but I have a few more pounds to go to reach my goal. However, it is more important to me that I am fit and feel my healthiest.

2. I resolve to finish a solid, complete draft of A Stealer's Hands. This novel has been lingering in an incomplete post-first draft for quite a while, and the story needs to be completed. Yes, there are other short stories and novels out there to be finished (and I resolve to also continue putting those on paper, no matter whether or not they are to go further right away), but this one needs to get there this year. It's so close...

3. I resolve to learn how to use my sewing machine and my soldering iron, and to begin using them in my jewelry and other crafts. This will open up my creativity and relieve me of any guilt I have been feeling for purchasing items I never use.

4. I resolve to get rid of half of what I own. Much of my stuff is merely taking up space. If I clear it out, then I will be more motivated to maintain a simple lifestyle. I will also be more easily able to move into a new apartment, if that is indeed a possibility. A fresh start in a new place has been on my mind for quite a while. This clearing of stuff may include turning old clothing and other items into creative pieces (and may make use of my aforementioned sewing machine and soldering iron).

5. I resolve, as always, to make more creative use of my time. This year, this also means avoiding the temptations to use the Internet and my new myTouch phone when there are more creative and/or productive things I could be doing.

What are your new year's resolutions? Are there new ones? Or do you make the same resolutions every year? How do you feel about this tradition? I'm curious. :)

1 comment:

  1. Uh-oh... I already forgot one of my resolutions!

    6. I resolve to get my home recording studio working again, in order to record an album full of solo work. It was working once upon a time, and I did something that threw off the balance. Any experts out there who can help me figure this out? :)

    ReplyDelete